Skip to main content

A bit of reading is good for the soul.

 



    My dear husband bought this book the other day as he thought it would be of interest. Factual books I normally read during the day, but I was intrigued and excited to start it as soon as he gave it to me , it has become my night reading ..only because I have more time. The book written by dress historian Kate Strasdin, after she was given the diary , the story behind that in itself is something I dream would happen to me in my lifetime. The book is beautifully written, it has such a gentle tone to it, packed full of social history it follows Anne Sykes journey. It is so clever as nothing is really known about Anne and certainly the diary gives away no clues, but Anne in a sense is  invisible but you read on feeling completely drawn in to the story. The photo's of the swatches are lovely and there is a QR code in the back to enable you to see more, these are stunning and is the icing on the cake. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Journey and Bookmaking

Sometimes I wonder why I'm doing this, it hard slog and some weeks and days you get nowhere, rejection is the worst and because of that I have spent along time not over exposing myself . However that really doesn't work. This little book is a combination of my journey, back and forward, finding a solution, working out the best way which is carry on making, working, experimenting and let people enjoy.       

Teabags and Collage

After my last post I thought about an exercise I could do daily to try and unstick myself from the attitude of not wanting to take my work to the next stage by collage. I decided to do a daily teabag collage  now I know the teabags aren't a huge surface area but its more about cutting, tearing , sticking and regrouping my work . If I stick at it , I could turn my collages into a handmade book as a reference to what worked and what didn't,  as I become more confident I could increase the size .

Mapping the forgotten

Mapping the Forgotten I wanted to look at my practice further, I was feeling as bit lost on where to go and what to do , I felt that by just using stitch I was hemming myself in , expression and development was hard. I came across  www.fibreartstaketwo.com  a course by  www.sallytyrie.com  seemed to fit the brief in my mind so I joined and what a great decision that was. It was the most amazing experience, I have met so many like minded artists and was blown away with the amount of talented people on the course. I wanted to continue with my passion of social history. Please have a look at the amazing work  exhibition.fibreartstaketwo.com/books/lcvj